We can only deliver our mission of making the discoveries that defeat cancer by attracting, retaining and developing the best minds in the international marketplace.
World-leading research institute
The ICR is the leading academic research centre in the UK. Effective industry collaboration and innovation in new medicines and technologies are at the heart of our approach to drive benefits for patients. The ICR is ranked:
- second for research quality, impact and environment*
- first for biological sciences*
- third for research impact*
- first worldwide for the number of our publications cited in patents**
- fourth worldwide for the citation rate of scientific research published across all fields**
- fourth worldwide for top-cited research publications**
- in the top five higher education institutions worldwide for academic influence and commercial impact**
The majority of our employees work in research, but there are also important roles in scientific facilities, academic services, IT, fundraising, communication, human resources, and within our business and innovation office, which negotiates between ICR scientists and industry.
Find out more about our eight research divisions, professional services and our students in our factsheet:
Training and development
We are committed to the personal development of our staff and offer a range of courses and online programmes in career development, interpersonal skills, management skills and information technology (see our training website).
We are proud to hold a prestigious Athena SWAN Silver award, recognising the impact our of our work in promoting gender equality in science and medicine.
Supporting researcher career development
We've also been awarded the HR Excellence in Research award from the European Commission for our ongoing work in supporting researcher career development, defined by the Researcher Concordat.
*2021 Research Excellence Framework **U-Multirank, 2020