2022 Application process
Seven summer studentships to commence in summer 2022 are being advertised with a deadline in February 2022. These will be based at either at Chelsea or Sutton ICR sites and awarded through a competitive application process. Please see our FAQs for further details, and the list of research teams inviting applicants for project proposals.
Initial contact form
- The initial contact form (excluding the equal opportunities information) and CVs will be circulated to the corresponding research teams for evaluation.
- Research teams will then shortlist candidates and it is expected they will then arrange interviews to identify their preferred candidate.
- Together the selected student and research teams submit an application to the ICR including:
- A short (~ 1 page) description of the project
- The CV of the nominated student
- A reference for the student and a short application form.
- You will need to be involved in any applications submitted by the research team. In addition to applying for funding from the ICR the team may apply to external funding sources.
- Three of the total seven studentships will be ring-fenced for individuals from underrepresented groups (Black British and first generation students). Ring-fenced applications will be evaluated separately.
- The allocation of studentships will based on the following criteria:
- Strength of the project and the training objectives for the student;
- Calibre of the student;
- Stage of degree studies: scholarships are considered of most benefit to students in the middle years of their degree;
- Previous summer placement experience: scholarships are considered of most benefit to students who have not had prior summer placements.
- Applications will be ranked and if any of the successful students have also applied externally for funding, there will be a reserve list. Provisional allocations will be announced in April/May pending the outcome of external competitions in May.
The deadline for submission of applications to the ICR by supervisors is 29 March 2022. Demand for these scholarships will be high so we cannot guarantee that all research teams will be able to contact all the candidates that apply to their group. If you have not been contacted by 29 March 2022 please assume that your application was not successful this time. Applications that are successful will be announced in April/May.
Please do not contact the Team Leader directly, all questions should be directed to Dr Silvia Alvarez Perez.